Main Certification page from SDE

1. You can renew starting 6 months before your expiration date.
2. Maintaining CT Educator Certification
3. Check your certification here:   Educator Certification Lookup
4. Access the Connecticut Educator Certification System (C.E.C.S.)
You may not modify First Name, Date of Birth and Gender. If this Data is incorrect, please send an email message to teacher.cert@ct.gov. If you just need to do your last name, it works online.
5. Professional Educator Certificate Requirements to Change in July 2016  Masters Degree Requirement
6. Important:  As of Dec 2016, ED 126 is no longer needed for renewal of a prof certification  (see email below)

Important:  Remember: it is your responsibility to renew your certificate. 

if you forget and let it lapse, then there could be serious consequences.

  • lose pay: you will be bumped to sub pay and if the renewal is not made retroactive, you will lose that significant pay difference forever
  • lose credit with TRB: you can’t contribute money into TRB or get service credit if you are not certified. We have had teachers who have lost a year of credit and faced a tax bill when TRB returned the money to them and they had to pay tax on it.
  • lose tenure and seniority: under state law, you will lose tenure and will take 2 years to get it back. You will move to bottom of the seniority list
  • lose your job: if you are un-certified, the district would have the right to let you go and hire a certified teacher in your place.

if you are working out of your certification area, once notified by the SDE and TRB, you will lose further credit:  see below

Certification Info: scroll down for June 12 update from CEA
– Types of certificates
– List of CT Certifications

How to Become a Teacher in Connecticut interactive site with info

Download Forms & Fee Info

Educator Certification Lookup
To check certification by telephone, follow these directions

  • Call automated system at: 860-713-6969
  • select 2 (to skip the prompt – it’s really long)
  • select 2 again (to skip the prompt – it’s also long)
  • enter your SS#
  • Then the automated system will let you know when you received your certification, when it expires, etc.

Access the Connecticut Educator Certification System (C.E.C.S.)

If you already have an account

  • Click the ‘Login’ Link above and provide your Username and Password. Passwords are case sensitive
  • If you have forgotten your username or password please call 860-713-6969 for assistance. Available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, excluding holdiays, from noon to 4:00 PM

Options once logged in are:

  • Apply for, Renew, or Update Certifications On-Line
  • Check the status of your Application
  • Update your Profile and Contact Information
  • View your Connecticut Certificates
  • Request a Duplicate Copy of your Certificate
  • View Testing History
  • Apply for Praxis I (PPST) Waiver

Public Information

ProTraxx for Teacher Evaluation:

For those of you who have never logged into ProTraxx before, please review the following information.

  • Check your email Inbox for an email from the Protraxx site issuing you a username and password. It is being sent to you today!   I believe the email subject will read SUPPORT PROTRAXX or something similar.
  • Enter the following into your browser:     www.protraxx.com
  • Click on the Login button on the upper right hand side of the page.  Enter the username and password provided in the email.
  • Call me immediately at x1215 if you cannot get in using the information provided.

For those of you who are familiar with ProTraxx but don’t remember your passwords, please do the following:

  • Enter the following into your browser:     www.protraxx.com
  • Click on the Login button in the upper right hand side of the page.
  • On the bottom of this page there is a link – “Forgot username and password”.
  • Click on that link and a username and password will be sent to you directly from the ProTraxx site.
  • ·Call me immediately at x1215 if you cannot get in using the information provided.


Sec. 10-183rr. No credit for improperly certified teacher. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (26) of section 10-183b concerning the requirement that a teacher hold a certificate for the position in which the person is employed, any teacher who possesses a certificate or permit issued by the State Board of Education and is notified on or after December 1, 2003, by the Department of Education that such teacher is not properly certified for the position in which the teacher is employed or has been employed, such teacher shall receive no further credit in the teachers’ retirement system for employment in such position until the teacher becomes properly certified for such position. The Teachers’ Retirement Board shall not rescind any credited service to such teacher for such employment and shall restore any such credit to such teacher if rescinded prior to May 27, 2008.

(P.A. 08-112, S. 3.)

History: P.A. 08-112 effective May 27, 2008.


Latest update on Certification from CEA ( June 14, 2012)

From: Branham, Linette [CT]
Sent: Thu 6/14/2012 8:50 AM
Subject: SB 24

Dear Colleagues,

When SB 24 was introduced and proposed the elimination of the provisional certificate, we advised teachers who currently hold the provisional to apply for their professional level certificates. Since the passage of the education reform bill, questions have arisen as to what teachers should now do. I’d like to clarify these issues.

* In the new law, the provisional certificate has not been eliminated…..all 3 levels of certificates – initial, provisional, and professional – remain intact.

* Beginning on July 1, 2016, in order to qualify for the professional level certificate, a teacher must have met 2 requirements: (1) have taught under a provisional certificate for at least 30 months, and (2) have earned a master’s degree in “an appropriate subject matter area, as determined by the State Board of Education, related to such teacher’s certification endorsement area.”

* It is very unclear at this point what the SDE will consider an ‘appropriate’ subject matter area that is ‘related’ to a certification endorsement. To what extent a ‘related’ area could be one that would lead to a degree and certification in another area is still unclear (e.g., an elementary teacher who gets a master’s degree in counseling, or a secondary biology teacher who gets a master’s degree in administration). However, I anticipate that the SDE will be somewhat flexible in this regard, since teaching experience is a prerequisite for any administrative certificate (e.g., intermediate administrator, reading consultant, etc.).

* CEA will advocate for the maximum degree of flexibility that will enable a teacher to meet the professional certificate requirement through a master’s degree that is related to teaching and learning, and will request that the SDE clarify this as soon as possible.

* Teachers who were granted a professional level certificate by meeting the requirement for 30 credits beyond the bachelor’s degree, but do not have a full master’s degree, will not be required to earn a master’s degree to retain their professional certificate.

* If a teacher has earned a master’s degree that is clearly ‘related’ to his/her endorsement area, but has not yet applied for the professional certificate, there is no urgency to apply for that certificate right away. (Example: a biology teacher who earns a master’s degree in geology, or an elementary teacher who earns a master’s degree in reading)


* If a teacher has not yet completed the 30-credit requirement for the professional certificate, but is well on their way to doing so, and if the 30 credits are not clearly ‘related’ to the teacher’s endorsement area, we advise the teacher to apply for the professional certificate as soon as the requirements for education and years of experience are met. (Example: an elementary teacher who entered the profession from a career in accounting, who has a master’s degree in accounting; a physical education teacher who has 30 credits beyond the bachelor’s degree, some of which are in health education and some of which are in sports and recreation)

* If a teacher became certified through completion of a master’s degree program, that master’s degree will meet the requirement for a professional certificate; the teacher will still have to meet the requirement for 30 months of teaching under the provisional certificate.

As more details come from the SDE, we’ll will post these on the CEA web site and send more information to you. In the meantime, please forward this email to your members or distribute it in another manner. If you have specific questions, please email Michele O’Neill (micheleo@cea.org ) at CEA. Thank you for helping to inform your members about this issue.

Best regards,


to staff regarding ED 126 forms

Good morning everyone,

Although this email may appear to be geared only towards teachers, it is intended for any of our staff who hold teaching certificates with the Connecticut State Department of Education.

The state recently changed its policy for credentials needed to renew teaching certificates currently at the professional level. Educators holding professional certificates no longer need to provide a Statement of Professional Experience Form, ED 126 when applying for renewal. They simply apply for  the renewal, which can be done easily online, following the link below.
All other certification levels, including initial, provisional and non-renewable will still need my office to complete the Statement of Professional Experience Form, ED 126.
Any employees who apply and receive updated certificates from the Connecticut State Department of Education should send copies to the human resources office for placement in personnel files.
Please always remember that maintaining certification is solely the responsibility of the employee. Our office will continually support employees with the process, but it is critical that all employees with teaching certificates maintain updated records with the Connecticut State Department of Education. These records include, but are not limited to, address and name changes. Ensuring that records are accurate and up to date will avoid miscommunication with the state and potential lapses in certification.
Finally, some of you may hold multiple certificates at different levels. For example, an employee may hold a professional certificate for teaching but an initial certificate for administration. Renewing those certificates has to follow the process outlined above.
I hope this update helps, but as always, please do not hesitate to contact my office with any questions.
Take care,
John Bayers